Title: WV Hive Regional Business Advisor
Type of Employment: Full-time EEO
Pay Rate: $45,000 – with benefits Supervisor: NRGRDA Deputy Director/ WV Hive Executive Director
The WV Hive Regional Business Advisor will provide in-depth business advising to entrepreneurs and small businesses across multiple industry sectors, with an affinity for those with hospitality and food industry service needs. The position will work with the WV Hive Executive Director, along with the WV Hive and NRGRDA team members to perform high-level professional work related to the support of NRGRDA entrepreneurship initiatives. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication and coordination skills, be tech savvy, and will confidently work with entrepreneurs and small business owners, vendors, high-level executives, funders, partners, and community members.
This position will provide in‐depth business consultations to entrepreneurs, recently formed companies, and established small businesses seeking to expand, diversify, or attract new capital investment throughout the Hive’s 13-county service area including Raleigh, Fayette, Nicholas, Summers, Webster, Pocahontas, Greenbrier, Monroe, Mercer, Wyoming, McDowell, Logan and Mingo counties.
Primary responsibilities include working closely with the Hive and NRGRDA staff to deliver business advising, training opportunities, and technical assistance to meet measurable goals and milestones related to the Community and Business Resilience Initiative (CBRI) and other funding initiatives. The Business Advisor will attend meetings, collect resources, and represent the Hive at entrepreneurial events. The Business Advisor will provide, as a standard part of their services, information on green and socially responsible practices, and in‐depth assistance to those entities aiming to prioritize them or structure their business around such priorities. In addition, this position will assist with high-level administrative and coordination tasks for projects, initiatives, and grant activities.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or higher in business administration, finance, management, or related field.
- Minimum of two years of work experience as a business advisor or in a similar role.
- Knowledge and experience in business development and entrepreneurship in the hospitality and food industry.
- Knowledge of responsible business practices and market development, financial management and tracking.
- Must be highly motivated, trustworthy, hard‐working, positive, a team‐player and dedicated to the mission of the NRGRDA, including the WV Hive Network.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and vehicle to use in performance of job. Position requires travel throughout WV, including 13-county service region.
- Must be able to pass a background check and drug test.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Ability to self‐direct and multi‐task.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Food Manager certification preferred.
- Provide excellent business advising and technical assistance support to entrepreneurs and business owners.
- Supply information and resources to Hive clients that promote sound financial management.
- Extend client knowledge through advising and support.
- Offer resources to prepare small businesses to respond to market demands.
- Assist clients with business modeling and recognizing overall potential.
- Work with resources and networks in the territory to support small business clients.
- Assess the current level of competency and assistance needed for Hive clients.
- Target and cold call potential businesses needing Hive support.
- Pull reports from Secretary of State and develop relationships with new and existing businesses in territory.
- Connect to resources that will support growth and development, especially within the hospitality and food industry.
- Provide business advising team with hospitality and food industry guidance and support.
- Provide business advising to WVU Tech students seeking business development support in ideation or startup stages within the hospitality or food industry.
- Communicate daily with the Hive executive director on client interactions to keep them abreast of activity within the service area.
- Collect and interpret key business indicators and report via CRM tool (HubSpot).
- Establish friendly, yet professional relationships and outreach with clients, institutions, and organizations essential to client support.
- Participate as needed in public speaking engagements and tabling events regarding Hive offerings and assistance.
- Work with business advisors, Hive executive director, and other staff on a project basis.
- Provide updates weekly and written reports monthly to executive director.
- Facilitate workshops and training(s) as needed.
- Foster professional interactions, networking, and professional growth.
- Support the development of grant applications, as needed.
- Perform other miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned and on a project basis, as required.
Works indoors at Hive offices, with primary office location at the WV Hive office in Beckley, as well as traveling to client locations, WV Hive touchdown locations, training, and events.
Must be able to complete all physical demands of the job, which may include, but not be limited to sitting or standing for extended periods, operating a motor vehicle, performing routine tasks, carrying supplies, and reading normal typewritten print. Must have corrected vision and hearing within normal range and have manual dexterity within normal range of motion of all extremities. Business Advisor must be able to provide written and verbal communication. He/she must be able to work alone without direct supervision. Employee must have the ability to deal with abrupt schedule changes and to maintain professionalism in coping with the stress of working with clients and businesses.